Do you sometimes feel like there are not enough hours in the day? Like the day just flies by and you feel like you haven’t got anything done?
We all lead hectic lives but the days can’t be made longer; however we can make the most of the hours we have got.
By managing your time effectively, you will get more done each day, as well as minimize stress and improve your quality of life.
Below are a few tips to help you do just this.
Choose one or several of the strategies given below, and try to incorporate it into your day to see if it helps. If it does, consider adding another one. If not, try a different one.
- Plan each day. Planning your day can help you to accomplish more and feel more in control of your life. In the morning or just before you go to bed, write a to-do list, putting the most important tasks at the top.
- Prioritize your tasks. Many tasks are time-consuming but relatively unimportant, and these can consume a lot of your day. Prioritizing tasks will ensure that you spend your time and energy on those that are truly important to you.
- Break large, time-consuming tasks into smaller tasks. Work on them a few minutes at a time until you get them all done.
- Practice the 10-minute rule. Work on a dreaded task for 10 minutes each day. Once you get started, you may find you can finish it.
- Say no to nonessential tasks. Consider your schedule and the importance of a task before agreeing to take on additional work.
- Delegate. Take a look at your to-do list and consider what you can pass on to someone else.
- Take time to do a quality job. Doing something right the first time may take more time upfront, but errors usually result in time spent making corrections, which takes more time overall.
- Evaluate how you’re spending your time. Keep a diary of everything you do for three days to determine how you’re spending your time. Look for time that can be used more wisely. For example, can you get the housework out of the way in the morning? This would leave the afternoon free to work on your business, or give you extra time to spend with family or friends.
- Highlight time on your calendar for big projects or important events. During that time, close your door and turn off your phone.
- Get plenty of sleep, eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly. A healthy lifestyle can improve your focus and concentration, which will help improve your efficiency so that you can complete your work in less time.
- Take a break when needed. Too much stress or constant intense work can impair your health. When you need a break, take one. Take a walk. Do some quick stretches. Take a day of rest and re-energize.
Remember the Prophetic Hadith:
The Prophet (salalahu ‘alaihi wa’salam) said: ”Take advantage of five matters before five other matters: your youth before you become old; your health, before you fall sick; your wealth, before you become poor; your free time before you become preoccupied, and your life, before your death.” [Narrated by Ibn Abbas in the Mustadrak of Hakim & Musnad Imam Ahmad. Sahih]